Potential Uses Based on Current Zoning The below information is based on several visits to the Building Department of City of LA.
- The home can be used as a care facility, single family dwelling or a single family dwelling with an ADU. The ADU can be no larger than 1,200 square feet within the footprint of the existing home.
- Care Facility - 6 or less people with disabilities.
- The ability to use the property as a care facility is passed on to new owner with the sale of the property per the City.
- AB68 - new ADU laws taking effect 1/1/2020 - allowing for non-owner occupied ADU and JADU (Junior ADU) to be built or interior in single family homes. In effect “triplexing” single family homes where allowable. See the law for details and investigate to determine if applicable to subject property. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB68
- A garage can be built - up to 400 square feet in the back and up to 200 square feet in front of house.
- The property can not be converted to a 2-4 unit due to current zoning. A variance can be applied for and the application cost is $7,295.13 at this time. The process can take upwards of 9-12 months to process and has to be submitted with architectural plans. The Building Department recommends talking to Nicole Sanchez regarding questions about the process of obtaining a variance. firstname.lastname@example.org 213-978-3034.